Lots of progress yesterday, though the overall look of the log house now resembles a bit of a patchwork quilt. Which, I suppose, is just what you'd expect to find in a log house, though I don't own one single patchwork. In fact, every time I've tried to make one, something has gone horribly wrong: the seams don't align, the batting lumps up, or the thread breaks in the middle of the row and I fail to notice until it's too late and all must be ripped out.
But I digress.
Bob has removed all of the spongy parts of the logs on one side of the house. He's brought logs in different depths, and it's a tricky task to marry the right shape and depth of log to the patch needed.
The area under the window sills is in the worst shape. Bob sprayed the carpenter ants (yes, it's not only Mother Nature that eats our house), and used wood filler, which needs to harden before he completes the repair. Leakage through that area below the sills comes down directly behind the kitchen stove. So, not only are we patching the logs...
... but we're also replacing the wood boards above the windows with new lead flashing that will be stained to match the house, and should last a good many years.